The Breezes of Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Breezes of Heaven

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lexicon Ideas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pendragon

pendragon

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 6:31 am

So I figured we could start a thread for all the common slang we could imagine would be used in this kindof setting.

Here's my two:

Burn
1) The act of burning fuel
2) A travel via spaceship. ex. - "We were on burn from Televetica when..."
2.1) A "long burn" can signify a long duration flight, most often coinciding with hypersleep.
3) To use one's solid fuel thrusters as a weapon, mostly done during the Colonial Skirmishes. ex. - "With the Prezchek frigate caught on my gangmate's hooks and chains, we adjusted our course and initiated a full burn when our aft was positioned right over their bridge."
3.1) Author's Note: While the captains of the ships during the Colonial Skirmishes had to improvise tactics, to 'burn' another ship was considered gross misconduct due to the horrific injuries it would inflict.

Hooks and Chains, The
1) The vulgar reference to a ship's decompression grappling gear.
2) To be chewed out by a senior officer. Ex. "I was left hanging on the hooks and chains by the XO."
Back to top Go down
pendragon

pendragon

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:55 am

Hide and Seek-
The act of ducking into, and out of, a given celestial body's magnetic poles or other anomoly in order to confuse another ship's sensors or grappling attempts.
Back to top Go down
pendragon

pendragon

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 am

Atmo-

Atmosphere. Shamlessly stolen from Firefly.
Back to top Go down
StormSigma

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 11:50 am

pendragon wrote:
So I figured we could start a thread for all the common slang we could imagine would be used in this kindof setting.

Here's my two:

Burn
1) The act of burning fuel
2) A travel via spaceship. ex. - "We were on burn from Televetica when..."
2.1) A "long burn" can signify a long duration flight, most often coinciding with hypersleep.
3) To use one's solid fuel thrusters as a weapon, mostly done during the Colonial Skirmishes. ex. - "With the Prezchek frigate caught on my gangmate's hooks and chains, we adjusted our course and initiated a full burn when our aft was positioned right over their bridge."
3.1) Author's Note: While the captains of the ships during the Colonial Skirmishes had to improvise tactics, to 'burn' another ship was considered gross misconduct due to the horrific injuries it would inflict.

Hooks and Chains, The
1) The vulgar reference to a ship's decompression grappling gear.
2) To be chewed out by a senior officer. Ex. "I was left hanging on the hooks and chains by the XO."

The term "long burn" in actual NASA usage means the lengthy thruster ignition used to get up to speed. Remember, in space, constant accelleration isn't required, as an object in motion tends to stay in motion.
Back to top Go down
minxlette

minxlette

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 11:59 am

A note on some of the ones that came up in game as more derogatary slang on Ghosts:

"Greys" - as in Jean Grey, circa X-men

"Brain -F******" - enough said Wink

I'm sure there was some other stuff that came up during the weekend that I don't recall on various things so if anyone remembers any of it please feel free to post.
Back to top Go down
Narzack

Narzack

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Matt and I wrote down a whole bunch of them. I'll post a complete list in a day or so.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\narzack.tabulas.com
Narzack

Narzack

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:26 pm

I said a post a bigger list, and, being the stand-up guy that I am, here it is.

Marines
-knuckle draggers
-vacuum suckers
-meat wall
-jizz fist
-no neck
-red rocket
-ground pounder
-catheter cowboys

They’re all pretty self-explanatory, I think. Catheter cowboys refers to the waste reclamation systems in their combat suits. Jizz fist is just a reference to the way that the marines blow a hole in a ship and stream into the interior. You know, kinda like busting a nut in the ship. Real classy stuff. High-brow, if you will.

Ghosts
-shrinks
-spooks
-brainfuckers
-brain rapers
-wrist cutters
-Greys

Again, all self-explanatory.

Pilot/Navigator
-rocket jockeys
-flyboys
-spin doctors
-vapor bait
-minutemen
-piston pumper
-piston licker
-throttle thruster
-tin pusher
-Birds of Pray

Birds of Pray is actually what Lincoln and Macree called themselves. It’s both self-deprecating- Dear God, please let this work!- and complimentary, as in pray you don’t see us coming your way. That sort of thing.

Remember, that these slang terms and beliefs are all from our point of view, as pilot and navigator. Most likely, Marines would have a few volumes of derogatory terms for us, and so on.

Crane
-Sir.

We also have a few miscellaneous slang terms.

Ok-> Green, Prime
All good-> Aces
Total mistake/screw up->Eating Shit(not really slang, but we figured it would be a term we use a lot)
Dumb, a little crazy-> Cylinders Misfiring
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\narzack.tabulas.com
stareyed

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: More Slang!   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Shinky: To be slightly 'off', sub-parr, or untrustworthy

"I don't think your going to get another year's worth of service out of that IF drive, it's already starting to sound shinky to me"
"That deal seems shinky, even if it does look good on the surface"

Cruise Director: Nickname/derogatory for Cultural officers

"Damn Cruise Director is making us do some of those team building exercises where we all play shuffleboard and sing kumbaya"

Dirt-side: On the surface of a planetary body

"I was Dirt-side on..."

Star-side: in space, on a ship or station

"I can't wait to get back star-side"
Back to top Go down
pendragon

pendragon

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Icarian, adj.
Reference: Flight of the Icarus

Adv. - A device or technology that is either far reaching, hubristic, or does not live up to it's proposed specifications.

Useage - "This Icarian peice of crap IF Drive wouldn't push us down the block, let alone take us into space."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lexicon Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lexicon Ideas   Lexicon Ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lexicon Ideas
Page 1 of 1